By: Brandon Conner
There are days, when before you even go into the gym, you just know you are gonna crush the workout. You can see it in your mind, and as the end of the workday approaches, you are only half-focused at your job. When you FINALLY make it to the gym, a seemingly simple WOD is posted on the board. You start the workout when BOOM, out of nowhere, it hits you like a ton of bricks. You were sure you were gonna crush the WOD, but instead the WOD crushed you!
The other side of the coin is what I would like to discuss here, though. The days where you are beat up, a little sore, a LOT sore, busy, etc. You just don’t feel like going to train. You have convinced yourself that even if you DID train, you would do SO horribly that it would not even be worth it. These are the days when it can help to just go into what I like to call “Zombie Mode.” Just go through the motions. Get in your car, go to the gym, and COMPLETE warm-up (this is especially important on these days). After that, then what? Just train. Start light. Take extra warm-up sets on any strength work you are doing. Diligently warm-up any movements in the WOD, before 3-2-1 go. Most importantly, do not set any expectations for the day — good or bad. If the bar feels heavy and is not moving well, get some good reps in at a weight you can do while still maintaining a desirable technique. Trust me, you will be surprised.
More than once, I have had a day where I felt horrible and had almost talked myself out of training. Once I entered “zombie mode,” showed up, then BOOM! I finished my training session with a new PR, learned a new movement or had an unexpectedly good performance in a WOD. So, stop placing so much weight on how you feel. Approach each training session with a healthy amount of confidence, respect, and humility. Do the best that you can, and the rest will “magically” work out for the better.
I wanted to take a few minutes to explain the reasons we are SUPER EXCITED about the start of 2016!!!
As we are in YEAR 5 as a successful fitness community we have decided to add a new name to properly describe our many health and fitness solutions, “Flowery Branch Health and Fitness” is a Strong Community formed to Provide Health and Fitness Solutions for the Entire Family!
Our new membership structure will add new services for the members who have converted over to our latest and greatest membership option. This new membership to Flowery Branch Health and Fitness is $150 a month and will include the following.
- Access to every scheduled group class. This includes CrossFit 101, CrossFit, and Max Kane Barbell (valued at $200 month)
- Access to our new online resources. This includes Workout tracking through WODhopper, Nutrition and Movement reference material accessed through our member only webpages, and PDF downloads so you can make these files your own to better prepare your meals, strength training and obtain your personal goals! (valued at $300 month)
- Goal counseling each quarter. Setting realistic Goals is very important and we want to ensure to also set realistic time frames. Our programming is completed in 8 to 12 week blocks, so it only makes sense that you re-set goals on a similar schedule. (valued at $55 month)
Add-ons for MEMBERS to this program include:
- Open Gym. This $10 a month add on will give you access to the gym outside of class times. This option is great to make up a missed workout due to your busy work/life schedule or to come in and perform any extra work your Coach has prescribed you to correct any imbalances in your training to aid in goal completion.
- Access to ALL scheduled sessions in a month. The most over looked $20 month add on. Mobility is important but king to mobility is STABILITY! Practicing yoga on a regular schedule will help you obtain improved positions with greater stability. The long term effects include better mobility, joint range of motion, and reduced risk for injury. (valued at $100 month)
- Coach Check-up- This is a $35 add on that gives you a 1 on 1 session with the Coach of your choice to set up fitness goals and a plan of action to obtain those goals. You will be assigned homework for the month to ensure you stay on track to goal completion. (valued at $100 month)
- Personalized Programming. This is a $50 add on that gives you additional access to OPEN GYM hours for the month of your personal program. A personal program is determined through a Coach and Athlete meeting with a 1 on 1 session. The Coach will then develop a detailed program specific to the Athlete for a 4 week period. (valued at $200 month)
Additional Options: (these give you none of the above Member Options)
- Personal Training. $35-$55 each session. This option is great for those recovering from an injury, looking to accomplish a goal with in a limited time frame, or if you just want all the attention and focus your money can buy from one of our most experienced Trainers. We have numerous Personal Training Packages available, please inquire for more details.
- Punch Card $125 for 10 Sessions to expire at the end of a 3 month period. This is designed for the experienced athlete, who can maintain a normal workout routine with minimum guidance but enjoys the group class atmosphere and expert coaching that our classes provide.
- Open Gym. $50 each month. This is designed for the experienced athlete, who can maintain a normal workout routine with minimum guidance. You may not enroll in Open Gym without approval of the Coaching Staff and a signature of understanding which outlines the rules and limits of your membership. To summarize, as an Open Gym member you do not have access to any group classes or Coaching. You are also limited to the Open Gym area only. The Open Gym Area is defined as the front area with the free floating platforms. You may not add additional equipment to the Open Gym Area at any time, or relocate it to any other area of the gym. In the event a Scheduled Class is being held, as an Open Gym member you agree to yield the right of way in any and all instances. This includes but is not limited to, your workout space, equipment, music and foul language. Group training will not occur in the Open Gym Area. This is defined as any workout where an instructor, coach, or determined leader is present. Any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For $10 a month you can rent out one of our giant lockers. Stop wondering if you forgot your workout gear on your way to the gym, and avoid the extra trip home after work. Want to freshen up? We also have CLEAN, LARGE, TILED showers for your convenience. Keep your shower caddy and rubber ducky in a locker and you will be ready for anything.
- You can now ask us to put your retail purchases on your tab. This means no more having to keep cash or a card on you while you work-out. Just say, “Put it on my Tab” and you are good to go. All Member Tabs will be paid in full at the closure of each month with the next month’s membership dues.
- By the Scoop. Forget your bottle of GAINZ? Just ask us to fill you up. We are offering $3.00 scoops of SFH protein for your post workout needs. If you are dragging when you enter the door after a long day or early morning ask us for a $3.00 scoop of Recon Ambush. For those heavy days get a few extra reps for bigger lifts with a $3.00 scoop of Blonyx Creatine+HMB.
- Open Gym hours for those with access will be extended on Sundays an extra 2 hrs. Doors open at Noon and will close at 4pm.
- The Saturday CrossFit workouts will change each week. The layout will be as follows:
- 1st Saturday–Friends and Family Free Day (Bring your people, it will be Fun and FREE)
- 2nd Saturday–Odd Object Day (everything we neglected during the week, Tires, Hammers, Stones, to name a few)
- 3rd Saturday–Scenario Based Fitness (playing out a military, fire rescue, police, or apocalypse scenario)
- 4th Saturday–Hero Day (Honoring the Heroes who paid the ultimate sacrifice with sweat)
Workout of the Day – Monday 5.11.15
Skill of the Day
5 min EMOM
6 Bent over rows @ 75% of Clean
- 5 X 1 @ 90%
5 Rounds for time of:
- 400 m Run
- 30 Box Jumps 20/24
- 30 Wall Balls 14/20
Coaches of the Day!
Workout of the Day 3.28.15
Skill of the Day
Friends and Family Day
Endurance Workout of the Day 11.8.14
B. Run – 5 miles
Done back to back / no transitions
- M – 5 miles
- H – 9 miles
- S – 5 miles
Workout of the Day 10.17.14
Skill of the Day:
OH Complex w/barbell
- 5 minute 2 rep EMOM
- Deadlift 5×8@90%
8 min AMRAP:
- 10- Bench Press 65/95#
- 15- Ring Rows
Post Total Rounds & Reps…
Workout of the Day 10.14.14
Skill of the Day:
3 Position Snatch w/BB (hip, knee, shin)
- 3minute 3 rep EMOM
- Press 5×5 @ 65%
12 min AMRAP:
- 400m Run
- 15- KB Swings 35/53
Post Total Rounds/Reps
Endurance WOD 10.11.14
A. Swim- 800m
B. Run-5 miles
Done back to back, no rest, work on transitions.
M- 5 miles
H- 5 miles
S- 3 mile
Endurance WOD 10.10.14
50×50 Kick Only/rest 30 Sec
Tread Water 3x5min
M- 20 mins
H- 16 mins
S- 10 mins
Go as far as possible in the amount of time listed.